Wednesday 2 May 2012

Game Face

You know, you'd be surprised at how many people were outraged by Andrea the Consultant's idiocy last Thursday.  I know I am.  There's been uproar.  Who knows what to believe now?!

I suppose that the scales are entirely the wrong thing to concentrate on.  I mean, yes, it was very disappointing when they said something I didn't like - but at the moment they give me a number I don't like every week.  The number that I saw last Thursday was nowhere near as big as the number I saw on 5 January - in fact if I'd seen that number on 5 January I probably would have done a little jig of happiness.  In fact... I can't actually remember what the scales said last Thursday.  I'm now all confused with the numbers.  It doesn't take much to confuse me in a numerical fashion.  I think darts players have supercomputers hardwired into their brains for their incredible mathematical dexterity.  How do they always know how count backwards from 501 to finish on a double?!  It's a gift.  Apparently the meaning of life is 42 - and I'm not mathematically qualified enough to provide any sort of argument to the contrary.  I think it's a fluke that I passed my Maths GCSE the first time of asking! 

The fact is, my clothes are even more baggy on me than they were a couple of weeks ago.  That's got to be the main thing.  I don't think it'll take a great deal more weight loss until I've dropped three dress sizes.  I think I'm sort of between two and three dress sizes smaller, so obviously nothing fits at all at the moment and I look like a bit of a tramp, but it'll all be all right in the end. 

Slimming World does work.  I mean - it clearly works.  Whether the scales say the right thing or not doesn't really matter - because they're not supposed to say the right thing until you're finished losing weight, that's the whole point. 

So, then.  Come on.  Let's do this.  If I was American I may even be tempted to say something motivational, grammatically questionable and a little urban like, "Bring it."  But I'm not, so I won't.  The fact is, I'm never going to get there if I curl up into a podgy ball and give up at my first real knockback.  People put on weight all the time.  I've been doing it for years.  Even though I know I didn't actually put weight on last week - the only numbers I'm really interested in are the numbers on the labels in my clothes. 

In other news, I discovered that my boss doesn't want me to work Saturdays any more.  This was extremely annoying on two counts.  Firstly, nobody had bothered to mention to me that my services weren't required on Saturdays before I turned up for work on Saturday, when they looked shocked and asked what I was doing there.  Secondly, this officially means that I have to get a new job.  I keep threatening it but unfortunately I really need to think about moving on now.  I don't want to because I hate job hunting and being the newbie and getting to know another new set of people - but sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.  And despite the fact there's a lot less of me now - I still gotta eat.

In other *other* news, I am researching like nobody's business in the hope of getting inspired to continue in The Phantom Winger (I heard someone say at Slimming World the other week that they'd been to the Phantom Winger, and it did take me a few moments to work out what they were talking about!  I was all ready to say "Hey, I wrote that!  What did you think of it?!" but then I remembered that a) it's a pub and b) I haven't written it yet!  It's got a good ending, though.  Or at least it will do.) - and by 'research', I basically mean I've been watching a lot of spy films.  I think it's helping.  Not that I condone or indulge in plaigarism, it's just that those sorts of films do help you to get in the right mindset for a good old spy romp.  I'm hoping to make a bit of a start on Chapter Three next week, as soon as I work out exactly where to start it.  I had such high hopes for being nearly halfway through the first draft by now, but alas - a writer's lot isn't always a productive one.

So, after a bit of a wobbly start to my weekend, I think things are starting to even out a bit.  I'm not really looking forward to the weigh-in tomorrow, because who knows what the crazy scales will tell me this week - and I'm still feeling a bit guilty after Thursday's KFC!!  However, whatever happens I will update you on my progress in Friday's blog.  The llamas will be back by then, all relaxed and refreshed, and hopefully ready for a good old fiesta!!  Get your maracas at the ready... you might well need 'em!!

1 comment:

  1. You make a lot of good points and you should be very proud of yourself!

    Sorry about your job. :(

    Hope today's weigh in goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete