Friday 8 June 2012

Nathan Persad In Colour

The llamas have been shaking their little furry hind quarters to Nathan's new album over the last few days.  Miguel says it's a hoof-tapping delight.  Ricardo says he thinks he might be a little bit in love with him.  Enrique liked it so much he said that listening to it cured his athlete's hoof immediately.  The power of pop music, ladies and gentlemen.

I've known Nathan for... erm... ever, I think.  It certainly feels like it, anyway - or at least it feels that before Nathan and I became friends, my life was merely a case of waiting for him to burst into it like a joyous ray of sunshine, shaking up my world and ensuring that nothing would ever be the same again.   

Not long after Mr P and I became pals, he sent me a copy of his then latest album, The N in R'n'B.  I really wasn't sure what to expect, after all, I was 19, had been stuck in a 60s timewarp from the age of 12 and had by this point not listened to any modern music since approximately 1998.  I really didn't want to hate it because he seemed like such a nice guy, but I'm so fussy about music I knew it'd have to be pretty special for me to really dig it. The first song on the album was called 'Sweetie'.  The intro started, I liked it.  The verse began, he was singing about a beautiful girl with long dark hair - I was in!  The chorus kicked in - it was a sort of spiritual, life affirming moment.  I was hooked.  I must have listened to that album so much that I knew the words better than Nathan did!  Since then I have been proud to be one of Nathan's staunchest supporters.  The man is a musical legend, and it absolutely tears me up that he hasn't hit the big-time yet, in this deplorable age of music that is more about sound engineering wizardry than solid songwriting and musical prowess.  One day, though, it'll be different.  One day.  I just know it.  Especially now as he's actually signed to a label.  A small label, but a label nonetheless.  On 4 June, his second official album (although in total it's his sixth album!) was released through Mile High Music and I have very high hopes for it.

There is a reason for me telling you about this.  'Sweetie', the song that began and cemented my adoration for Persad The Musician (my adoration for Persad The Man was cemented long before that) has been re-recorded and features on his new album, Nathan Persad In Colour!  My cup runneth over!

The opening track, 'We're Back On', is a drum-heavy beat standard detailing the joy of a rekindled romance that really sets the scene for the rest of the album.  Shades of early Hollies and Herman's Hermits shine through and if you're not on your feet by the end of the intro then you're either dead or, as I was during the time of my first listen, driving. 

One of my all-time favourite numbers by Nathan is the wistful 'I Don't Wanna Surf Alone'.  A surf ballad in the 'Don't Worry Baby' ilk, It first featured on his second 'unofficial' album, Maximum NPP, and hasn't really changed much in its arrangement since then, but it didn't need to.  The story is about a successful surfing partnership that blossomed on England's beaches, only to be dashed to pieces like an errant surfboard smashing onto the rocks by one throwaway comment from the song's protagonist.  Realising he can't possibly continue a surfing career without his partner, he begs for forgiveness, declares her the real star of the show, and asks for another chance, "Let's do it again - starting with Skegness."  A beautiful song and a true highlight of the album.

Time and space will fail me if I continue to list all the great moments of the album, but '(I'm Not A) Love 'Em and Leave 'Em Guy' is definitely worth a mention.  An unashamed nod to New Jerseys' finest exports, The Four Seasons, he even mentions Frankie, Tony, Nick and Bob - listen carefully to the backing vocals during the plea, "I'll give you ten reasons why you should stay and love me for all Four Seasons".  His falsetto work is spectacular and would definitely make Frankie Valli proud.

I'll force myself to speed through the next few tracks on the album and pause for 'A Slow One'.  I've been listening to Nathan's music for almost ten years, but this is probably the one track that's surprised me most from him.  It's a bluesy number, with a solid drum beat and some stunning guitar licks, in truth probably only a slight deviation from his unique brand of melting-pot, cross-genre work, but it really sounds as though he's starting to take his music to a new level entirely, one that I didn't know I was ready for but one I love nonetheless.  It's still very Nathan and his own particular turns of phrase will always keep his songs fresh and fun - but this is a bit of a curve ball in comparison to anything you may have heard before by him. 

Time will truly fail me if I talk about 'XB-100', 'Johnny Echols', or the Batman/Searchers bassline section in 'Let's Get Going!' - but suffice to say, Nathan's new album is truly everything I hoped it would be and so much more besides.  I can't recommend it highly enough to you.  If you've got £6 that you'd like to invest wisely, there can be no finer way to spend it than on this album.  There are also some pretty dashed funny liner notes on the back of the album that should help you while away a good five minutes or so!

Join me on Monday, when I'll be well back on the straight and narrow diet-wise again.  Have a lovely weekend, everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment